Colorado Rockies Trekking with Llamas
Backcountry hiking with llama support in the Lizard Head Wilderness of Colorado
- Where: San Juan and Uncompahgre National Forests in Colorado
- When: August 23, 2015 through August 28, 2015
- Number of Days/Nights: 6 days, 5 nights with 1st night lodge stay and orientation
- Time: Evening day 1 through afternoon last day
- Group Size: Minimum 4, maximum 8
- Age Group: Adults and youth 16+
- Deadline for Signup: 1 week prior
- Cost per Person: $1950 /person
- Deposit: $500 nonrefundable, applies to total fee; full balance due 30 days prior
- Trip meets and ends in Dolores, CO. First night motel lodging and orientation included.
- Trip led by CFI Founder and Director Karla VanderZanden, with over 35 years on the Colorado Plateau
- Call to arrange a custom private trip for different dates for 2015.
- Click here to read our cancellation policy. If we do not meet our group minimum, you will be contacted and may have the option for surcharge to run the trip or if we must cancel all fees will be refunded.
- To register at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800.860.5262 or 435.259.7750.
Experience the Colorado Rockies trekking with llamas, with CFI and Redwood Llama Outfitters in the Lizard Head Wilderness Area, San Juan Mountains!
This program is offered by CFI with llama packstock support from Redwood Llama Outfitters from Dove Creek, Colorado. Redwood Llamas is licensed by the U.S. Forest Service and has run llama trips in the San Juan Mountains for many years.
The 2015 trip will be led by CFI Founder and Director, Karla VanderZanden with the help of a llama wrangler/camp cook. We start with a nights stay at the Dolores Mountain Inn for trip orientation and packing our panniers. Breakfast the next day is included, then we travel up the West Fork of the Dolores River to the trail head in a comfy CFI van. Enjoy spectacular mountain scenery, cool temperatures and lovely mountain wildflowers with comfortably paced hiking. Karla will share her love of the region, knowledge of native cultures, mining and outlaw tales as well as mountain flora, fauna and their adaptations.
This back country hiking and camping trip with llama support requires that participants carry only water, rain gear, lunch and personal items. The trails are established but we will be above 10,000 feet for most of the trip so advance conditioning, arriving in the area in advance is a must. We will have two base camps and layover days with optional day hikes.Hike 3-6 miles per day in the Lizard Head Wilderness Area, San Juan and Uncompaghre National Forests. General elevations 10,000 feet and above, relaxed pace and layover days from two base camps. Participants carry only water, rain gear, lunch and personal items during our hiking days. Our trip returns to Dolores by late afternoon. Lodging and dinner are on your own this last night. as we hike 3-6 miles per day in the Lizard Head Wilderness Area, San Juan and Uncompaghre National Forests.
This trip takes us to the headwaters of the Dolores and the San Miguel Rivers in the Lizard Head Wilderness Area, first protected as a primitive area in the 1930’s. We will hike at the base of the spectacular Mt.Wilson and El Diente, near 3 of Colorado’s 14,000 foot peaks. Our hike will take us to Navajo Lake, past several waterfalls, through aspen and fir forests, wildflower meadows and alpine cirques. Hiking on three days will be moderate (short distances, limited elevation gain or drop) and two days considered strenuous due to elevation gain and drop (1000 feet over 5 miles.) People can hike “with” a llama or can opt to hike separately and let the guides lead the string. These animals are gentle and capable companions and the panniers for gear are small and easy to handle.
For more information and for a complete schedule of activities, please call: 435-259-7750 or 800-860-5262.